Erosion bundle collaboration

Hello there! Last summer I joined a collaboration with a bunch of crafty friends to create erosion bundles. What are they, you ask? They are bundles of fabric, paper, bits and pieces you gather together from what you have at home and add all kinds of elements to the bundle that you think might erose and add „erosional details“ to the materials. So people put in thigs that develop rust and stains of all kinds.

So last July I gathered all kinds of bits and pieces together and made bundles out of them. I didn´t give the whole process that much thought, as I figured the weather and seasons around my area would take care of the rest. So I hung 2 bundles on our patio to get their portion of sunshine, rain, hail and cold on them and just waited 6 months. One last bundle I layed onto the ground (into a flower bed in our garden). Here is how they looked like when I started:

I wrapped lots of paper, music note paper, a notebook, metal pieces, wood veneer, ribbons and twine and so on in layers inside the bundles and wrapped pieces of the white Ikea curtain around the on top. Then I made tight bundles out of them to stand the tooth of time and weather and just waited.

Finally, end of January I opened the bundles and to my disappointment, there was not much going on in the bundles other than mold. So my first experiment really didn´t bring the results I was expecting to get. I recorded videos of the bundle opening process, for you to see how much „erosion“ 6 months in my region created. Here they are:

and the second one with the last two bundles:

And this is all I got out of the bundles to be used on projects:

I had to throw away most of the stuff, due to heavy molding, I don´t want to rist anything, since mold is quite unhealthy ;-). BUT, even though I didn´t get the results I wanted to have, I learned a lot from my mistakes. Besides, the bundle creating and opening after a long time is so much fun! I will definitely make new ones. I just need to wait a bit, since currently it is too cold here to dig the bundles in our garden (everythings frozen :-)…). See, I figured, if I bury them in dirt, I might get better results than when I just hang them outside. And I will be adding more bits with rust to them next time, also adding all kinds of things that create natural stains/dye effects. I had too little of those inside this time round. My collaboration partnes had much more luck here! Go and see their blog posts and results – start from here.

Finally, I used the bits and bobs I could save (at least most of them) for these 3 ATCs:

It´s all product from the bundles, except for the red thread, the brads and the word stickers. Those I added to finish the artist trading cards. This was still so much fun and I am so thankfull for having a crafty friend who always pushes me towards new areas of creativity and challenges me to experiment and develop and keeps me inspired! Thank you Tina, for organizing this collaboration, even though it was not a great success for me, I really, really enjoyed being part of it!

Happy crafting,
xxx, Sanna

Schreibe einen Kommentar

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert.